SHEQ is an acronym for SAFETY, HEALTH, ENVIRONMENT and QUALITY
generally used with regards to the workplace SHEQ management.
SHEQ is a technical field that applies multiple disciplines geared towards continuous improvement of occupational safety, environmental and quality factors that impacts on any organisation.
The International Standards Organisation [ISO], publishes a variety of management systems ideally requiring integration to achieve true SHEQ Management, amongst them:
- Safety and health management systems, with requirements described in OHSAS 18001:2007
- Environmental management systems, with requirements described in ISO 14001:2004
- Quality management systems, with requirements described in ISO 9001:2008
Furthermore these integrated systems of SHEQ Management, itemized above, need to also take into account local legislative requirements around Labour Law, Department of Minerals and Energy regulations and BBBEE legislative matter per industry such as the Mining Charter.
Once this has been achieved then the following must be agreed/set:
- Vision and mission of the organisation
- Policies, objectives, targets and programs that support the vision/mission of the organisation.
- Periodic system reviews to evaluate, make changes, improve or correct the organisations SHEQ Management plan.
Fatigue Management of the workforce is central to any SHEQ Integrated Programme for all organisations in RSA, and here it must be borne in mind that the missing ingredient in most Safety and Health interventions is proper LOW GI nutritional supplementation – the key to productivity, safety and health – what you put in is what you get out!
READ PRODUCT REVIEW BY DIETITIANS AT WORK
The following graph illustrates the employer and employee factors needed to be considered in any integrated programme designed to facilitate Safety and Health of the worker, as well as Productivity for the employer.